In the ‘Arcana Fairfaxiana Manuscripta’ there is a ‘drink for the plague’ recipe. It is below, though I cannot recommend it and am sure it will not cure Covid-19! I have modernised the language and translated the amounts from imperial to metric. The recipe gives no indication of how to make up the drink.
- Hartshorn* or baking powder 30g
- Ginger sliced 7g
- Gooseberries 30g
- Figs 226g
- Oranges, rind and flesh from 2
- Turmentall 30g – I can’t find out what this is. Any ideas?
- Angelica roots 30g
- Crush a handful of each of the following herbs:
- Angelica stalks and leaves
- Elder leaves
- Red bramble buds and leaves (un-ripe blackberries)
- Red sage
- Rue and Saxifraga, both stalks and leaves
*Hartshorn is also known as baker’s ammonia and ammonium carbonate. It is an old time leavening that literally used to be made from ground deer horn.